LOS ANGELES (AP) — Disney is mining The Force for even more new films.
Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger said Tuesday that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone "Star Wars" movies that aren't part of the new trilogy that's in the works.
"There has been speculation about some standalone films that have been in development, and I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few stand-alone films," Iger told CNBC.
Iger said the movies would be based on "great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with "Star Wars: Episode VII."
Disney confirmed last month that "Star Trek" director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the "Star Wars" saga.
Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last year for more than $4 billion.
The last "Star Wars" trilogy, a prequel to the original films, was released from 1999 to 2005.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
DETROIT (AP) — Detroit Mayor-elect Mike Duggan passed an audition held by Detroiters last month, and he'll face the music before he even takes office.
STOWE, Vt. (AP) — Even if it's good for business, NBC's revival of "The Sound of Music" wasn't one of the von Trapps' favorite things.
BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP) — Composer Steven Sametz has written dozens of pieces in his long and prolific career, perhaps none so personal as the one he's about to begin: a requiem for the victims of the schoolhouse massacre in Newtown, Conn.